Lawyers With Experience In Nonprofit Formations

Forming a nonprofit and applying for tax exemption can be a complicated process that must comply with state and federal laws. Hiring a lawyer with considerable experience in nonprofit formation can guide your nonprofit through the process and help you avoid the many pitfalls of trying to do all the legal work on your own. It's best to hire your nonprofit attorney early in the planning phase so your organization has the best possible chance of qualifying for nonprofit status.

Nonprofit formation is a specific field of law, so it's to your benefit to select an attorney who is experienced in the process. At Henderson, Caverly, Pum & Trytten LLP, we have a practice group dedicated to the representation of nonprofits. Our experienced team of lawyers and paralegals have helped with nonprofit entity formation for a variety of organizations, including public charities, private foundations, schools, churches, political action committees, trade groups, health care organizations and other entities.

For new entity formations, our services include the following:

  • Drafting and filing the formation document (i.e. Articles of Incorporation, Articles of Association, or other formation document depending upon type of entity).

  • Preparing and filing IRS Form SS-4 Application for a federal employer identification number.

  • Preparing initial resolutions of the Board of directors.

  • Preparing custom bylaws containing provisions to assist in operating the corporation in compliance with California nonprofit law.

  • Preparing and filing the initial Statement By Domestic Nonprofit Corporation (a required biennial filing with the California Secretary of State).

  • Preparing and filing the initial registration with the State of California Office of The Attorney General Registry of Charitable Trusts.

  • Drafting a Conflict of Interest Policy and Questionnaire and Annual Statement for Members of the Board of Directors and Certain Officers.

  • Preparing and filing for Federal tax-exempt status with the Internal Revenue Service (Internal Revenue Service Form 1023, 1023-EZ, 1024, or 1024-A).

  • Assisting the organization with the preparation of a Public Inspection Binder to maintain at the organization’s principal place of business.

  • Prepare and file Franchise Tax Board Form 3500 or Form 3500A, the Application for state tax exempt status with the California Franchise Tax Board.

Contact Us To Learn More

Want to discuss how to start your proposed nonprofit organization with a nonprofit attorney? Contact Henderson, Caverly, Pum & Trytten LLP today.

Contact Us

Name *